Sunday 4 October 2015

Chiffs & a White Front

I gave Lidsey another going over this morning and found a nice little route through the fields at the back of the sewage farm which has tons of potential, hopefully something good will turn up here. Today there were as usual plenty of Chiffchaffs around the site, unusually by the entrance and the tree avenue rather than the far hedgerow, unfortunately I couldn't turn up any Yellow-Browed Warblers amongst them but their time will surely come! Also around the SF, plenty of Pied Wagtails, a single Grey Wagtail and a charm of Goldfinches. A Red Kite also drifted over and the usual Starlings were around the filter beds.


Chiffchaff at Lidsey:




Just as I was on the verge of tracking down that elusive YBW (!) I had a text from SR telling me that the White-Fronted Goose I'd been looking for yesterday was on the stilt pools at Medmerry. I arrived to find that AH had beaten me to it and a discussion on the bird's provenance ensued. It certainly didn't appear to be over-tame and is unringed; perhaps it is last year's bird returning, the bird from Cuckmere that never left or a new bird that came in with the Brent Geese?


White-Fronted Goose:




...with Canada Geese:




...with Wigeon: