Saturday 2 April 2016

Spring Sprung?

Roxy Music-Oh Yeah!

Spring looks like it's here as there was plenty going on today including a Pied Flycatcher in West Sussex at Steyning and a Common Redstart at Park Farm near Selsey. For me, an early rise thanks to my threenager (look it up!) alarm clock and a look at Selsey Bill with lots of more experienced sea-watchers this morning produced a few good birds with highlights being a Black-throated Diver, a Velvet Scoter and a small passage of Little Gulls. I then moved on to Medmerry where again there was some good stuff including a Little Gull, two Wheatears, a White Wagtail and a Lesser Black-backed Gull. The latter was an interesting bird I felt as it was particularly dark; I did wonder if it was a contender for intermedius perhaps though head did appear streakless, I think the structure & colour & odds (!) rules out fuscus fuscus as it was a pretty bulky individual so perhaps a dark graellsii...or not... :s


Lesser Black-backed Gull:







Little Gull:




Wheatear:




Little Ringed Plover:




White Wagtail (cracking bird!):







Brent Geese, Selsey Bill: